2.23.2008

In A Pit With a Lion


So I got a chance to meet (and confess to... and come off a little stalker-ish I'm sure) Mark Batterson at the Church Planters conference last week... During the first breakout he sat about 5 feet from me and was hammering away on his laptop as Steven Furtick "shucked the corn" for about 50 minutes... Afterward, I thanked Batterson for being a learner and not just sitting in some curtained off VIP area eating apples while waiting to speak and then catch a flight out of town... I also apologized for ever comparing him to another writer who took a certain obscure Old Testament verse and created a whole "bless me indeed" empire... You see, after actually beginning to read "In A Pit..." there is so much breadth and width to this book... Well, instead of fluffing on, I have decided to blog my findings:
Chapter 5 - Guaranteed Uncertainty
"...security scares lion chasers more than uncertainty." What a prayer! God, let me never choose the safe over the unknown.
...reminded of one of the most inspirational lines in the whole Bible... "Perhaps the Lord will act on our behalf." - Jonathan had some huge confidences!
"...what if, instead of spending all of our energy making plans for God, we spent that energy seeking God?" GULP. I am great at overplanning and an underseeking!
"...your explanations are more important that your experiences." Uncertainty is defined by perspective which is determined by my operating theology: do I really believe that God is who He says He is?
"The greatest hazard to your spiritual health is thinking that your past is haphazard or that your future is left up to chance alone." Again, operating theology question.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.