2.22.2008

Handing Off Well

So, this is by no means original or even fresh, but it was a great reminder as Wesley and I sat in my office and talked about how to hand something off well. I wonder if he realized that I did the total opposite in handing off THE 706 to him? Oh well... As long as I can learn and do better next time, right? Anyhow - thoughts on Handing off Well.

As seen on the shot from by BWB (Big White Board)... Handing off is a process of 5 steps...
-I do
-I Do, You Watch
-We Do
-You Do, I Watch
-You Do

Each of the last 4 steps would have an intentional conversation before and after. The before conversation outlines the intent for said step, and sets the stage for the after conversation, which offers the opportunity to review. This review conversation would be especially critical in the 2nd step as it allows the handee to review the hander... giving permission, in a sense, for the hander to then review the handee after step 4.

The image also shows some thoughts of the length of each step slower (s) or longer (l)... Obviously, the ultimate length of each step depends on the people involved and task at hand.

Like I said, nothing original, but a great reminder.

No comments: